Hailey
If someone describes a woman "pert", do they approve of her or not? I'm not sure if this word is positive or negative. I'm informed that this word could cause offense and I don't know how.
7
1
The word "pert" has many dictionary meanings: 1. boldly forward in speech or behavior; impertinent; saucy. 2. jaunty and stylish; chic; natty. 3. lively; sprightly; However, this word is rarely used to describe a woman nowadays.
It is used approvingly, but you wouldn't tell the lady in question... if you get what I mean. "Pert" can apply to both personality or physique (and usually physique, these days).
I haven't seen this used in an offensive way. Maybe someone else has. It's not used very often, so maybe the meaning isn't well known. When I hear it, I just think of lively, maybe with a bit of a sassy attitude. I don't think of those as offensive things, and I don't think the women in my life would think of it as a bad thing. That's my opinion on it.
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean