Vivien
Can I change these sentences to passive as follows? I dread cars driving at high speed. to: Cars driving at high speed are dreaded by me. and: I see him jumping over the fence. to: He is seen jumping over the fence. Is this a rule that active pattern: verb + ing in passive is: verb +past participle + ing?
5
0
Grammatically it is correct, but the first one still sounds like a lot of nonsense. The second one is fine.
Don't mess up with the gerunds. See somebody/thing doing something, dread sb/th doing something, these are kind of fixed patterns, nothing to do with your active/passive situation. You can't really doing mathematics here: I fear cars =>? Cars are feared by me.
I am trying to think of an example of your second sentence. It is not a common sentence. But, here is an example of how it might be used: For example: you are reading a book about John. You see a picture of John as a baby. On the next page John is 5 years old and is seen riding bicycle. 3 pages later, John is seen jumping over the fence. (your sentence).
The first one not commonly used The second one is correct
yes, you can say so. but in active, you should say like "driving cars" (not vis- versa)
Vivien
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Russian
English, Korean, Russian