aaa234
"Name of the cars" or "car names" Hi mates! I've got a small grammatical dilemma and i'd like you to help me solve it :) As you know better than me there is possibility of using either "Saxon genitive" or "of" in English. For example we can say: - my daughter's toy - the end of the movie etc. I was taught that we use genitive when we talk about "living creatures" and "of" regarding to objects I thought there weren't any similar constructions but I sometimes come across expressions like: - pitch length - eye colour - car names ...Could you tell me if there is a rule when we use this option? Couldn't we say "the lenght of the pitch" or "the names of cars" ?
3
2
"The length of the pitch" is just as acceptable as "the pitch length" (although I wouldn't personally go for 'the pitch's length' as the length doesn't actually belong to it) and "the names of the cars" is fine too. English possessives tend to be quite flexible except in very certain circumstances - "of" is rarely used with proper nouns ("The car of John" = bad English) for example.
Cars' names. [ car's (singular) cars' (plural) ]
aaa234
English, French, German, Polish, Russian
English, French, German, Russian