Community Web Version Now Available
How do you say "M.A." in Russian? Do you write the whole "Магистр гуманитарных наук" or is there an abbreviation for it? Does the degree come before or after the person's name?
Feb 25, 2011 4:18 AM
Answers · 2
We haven't special abbrevation for this. Usually degree comes after the name, for example: А.В. Бялко, доктор физико-математических наук
February 25, 2011
I suspect that "магистр гуманитарных наук" is only used to translate the English word. Actually, there is no M.A./M.Sc. division in Russia, so if you need a generic term, it is simply "магистр". If you need the full title, however, you will have to check the exact major, like "магистр истории", "магистр литературоведения", "магистр востоковедения и африканистики". All such titles have been introduced comparatively recently, and there is no common way to abbreviate.
February 26, 2011
Language Skills
English, French, German, Italian, Latvian, Norwegian, Russian
Learning Language
French, German, Italian, Norwegian