Márcio Junior
A very very basic question, that makes me so confused.. A very very basic question, that makes me so confused. "... You had a bad day the camera DON'T lie, You're coming back down ..." I saw this phrase in the song Bad Day by Daniel Powter ... and there is also: "This life DON'T last forever hold my hand ..." by Michael Jackson and Akon. I mean, these two phrases should not be DOESN'T? like, "The camera DOESN'T lie" "This life DOESN'T last forever" or is this the correct but informal way of saying?? by the way, feel free to correct me .. thanks a lot..
Mar 5, 2011 1:42 AM
4
0
It's all slang. Lots of music uses "don't" instead of "doesn't". The slang is used everywhere, not just by certain groups.
Junio, I think you are discovering "Black American English". It is easier than regular English-- there is no conjugation, so it is easier, but it limits you to only speaking with Black Americans. You are right-- "doesn't" would be correct English. I would recommend sticking with the high road and learning proper English. You can always "drop down" if you ever want to, but it is much more difficult to stay on the low road and go up on occasion.
DOESN'T is actually correct. DON'T is improper to use in those sentences. It's not Standard English, it's more Dialect (broken English). We should always practice proper English. ^_^
Márcio Junior
English, French, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish
English, French, Serbian, Spanish