If you're interested in getting one-on-one tutoring from an independent teacher, you can follow these steps.
*1. Find a teacher*
Click here: http://www.italki.com/teachers/
Finding the right teacher is important. You can sort the list based on the criteria that matters most to you.
- What language they teach
- Professional Teacher / Language Tutor
- Native Speaker
- Price (ITC per hour)
*2. Choosing a teacher*
Once you find some teachers that match your criteria, click on their picture or name to view their profile. Here you can learn more about their educational background, and check their availability schedule. If you are interested in scheduling a lesson with them, we recommend:
- Sending them a message
- Becoming italki friends with them
- Chatting with them
When you contact the teacher, we think it is important that you explain:
- Who you are
- Your learning goals
- That you have purchased italki credits
- That you are serious about scheduling a paid lesson
Contacting the teacher ahead of time also makes it easier to find a mutually agreeable time to schedule the lesson.
*3. Schedule a Session*
When you're ready to reserve a session, click [Request]. Much of the information is pre-filled for you, but make sure to check it.
Please make sure to:
- Check the teacher's calendar for availability
- Schedule the teacher at least 24 hours in advance
- Check what software this teacher prefers (Skype, MSN, etc.)
If you have any special needs for the session, please include that in the message box.
Finally input your password and press [Send]. By clicking [Send] you are agreeing to the terms you set.
Now you must wait for the teacher to confirm the session.
When the teacher confirms the session:
- You will receive an email, and a notice on your italki homepage
- ITC will be deducted from your account at italki
*4. Attend your Lesson*
When it is time for the session, please be ready to connect with the teacher. Here are some recommendations to have a good teaching session:
- Be prepared ahead of time
- Install and test your chat software (example: skype)
- Add your teacher on as a contact
- Test your microphone
- Test your webcam (if you plan to use it)
- Be friendly and courteous
* 5. Confirm the Session*
After you have had your lesson with the teacher, you'll need to go back on italki and click [Confirm]. This tells italki to release the payment to the teacher and gives you the chance to give feedback to the teacher. You will need to evaluate the teacher on three different criteria: Professionalism, Helpfulness, Knowledge. More details are here: http://www.italki.com/help/teaching/faq_teaching.htm#FAQS