Avatar
What is "Given" the beauty of......? (An article about the islands of England and Ireland in the Northern Hemisphere and the islands of North Island and South Island in the Southern Hemisphere.The first two islands comprise the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, and the second two islands comprise New Zealand.) ex: Given the beauty of these three islands, what makes South Island so special? Why does this sentence use "Given"?What is "given" the beauty of......? What's the meaning of this sentence?
Mar 9, 2011 11:13 AM
6
0
given = it's been established; it's been generally accepted 给定
Ha! This one is interesting, it means "to think about, to talk about" but works as a preposition. That's what I don't get; it's the same with the word (prep) "considering". "Considering that she likes me, I decided to hit on her". "Given that you don't like me, I decided to not hit on you". "Given the truth that you don't like me, I..." Kind of like "regarding" (providing etc), which could be either a gerund or a perposition. Regarding the topic, I ain't got nothing to say. Literally you could deem the word "given" like how a so-called "non-finite" verb works: (Being) given the situation, I choose to be clever. Sort of like: I'm given the situation, thus I think... or, now that you give me the situation, I'm supposed to... Just like: (Being) cheated by her, I decide to cheat her too.
Avatar
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Thai
English, Korean, Thai