besarlalluvia
Is case inflection (إعْرابُ الإسم)ِ sounded in colloquial speech? مدْخلُ البَيْتِ الصغيرُ the small gate of the house مدْخلُ البَيْتِ الصغيرِ the gate of the small house Would the damma ُ and kasra ِ be pronunced in everyday speech? I don't mean on the news, but speaking to your friend, for example. If they aren't, how would I know whether the house is small or the gate is small?
10 mars 2011 20:29
6
0
we don't use standard Arabic in our daily life when talking to the people,so we don't use kasra,damma..etc in the dialects.
10 mars 2011
well arabic is dialects which differ from country to country ( sometimes from city to city too!!) so in everyday life u can just learn the dialect of the country\people u'd speak too damma kasra and naho are things for official and standard language only
10 mars 2011
aaaah that clears it up a bit :)
16 mars 2011
No, they are not used, even when people speak standard arabic. It's not uncommon for news prodacstors and public speakers to omit these end-of-word vowels. You should note that Arabic Dialects are technically (from a linguistic point of view) different languages with different grammar rules. Egyptian arabic has بتاع to mean "of", Iraqi uses مال to mean "of", Syrian uses تبع to mean the same thing. But, these are optional, so the sentence: باب البيت الصغير Can still occur in dialects, the pronounciation will be radically different from standard arabic, for example: Syrian: baab ilbeet liz ghiir Egyptian: babil beet essughayar Iraqi: baab ilbeet liz ghayir The meaning is the same, and as you noticed it's ambiguous as it could have two meanings. So how do we distinguish? We don't. It's ambiguous. Mostly the meaning is deduced from the context. If the listener/reader knows the house has small entrance, he will interpret it as such. If the listener knows you're talking about two houses, one of them being small, then he will interpret the sentence as such. Of course it is possible to remove ambiguity by using the "of" construct, here's the example in Syrian: The small door of the house: الباب الصغير تبع البيت The door of the small house الباب تبع البيت الصغير Hope this helps. P.S. I just realized you used مدخل and I used باب in my answer. sorry :P too lazy to go back and fix them all.
15 mars 2011
As flora said, we don't use standard Arabic in our speech, each country has a dialect and they are similar in many Arab countries. There are very simple ways to differentiate, for example if I mean the gate is small: المدخل الصغير...بتاع البيت If I mean the house: مدخل البيت الصغير or you can clarify it after the statement as you said it... OR BETTER: just use the real word and make use of masculine and feminine and use: بوابة =gate So: بوابة البيت الصغير the house is small بوابة البيت الصغيرة the gate (feminine) is small :)
11 mars 2011
besarlalluvia
English, French, Korean, Spanish
Korean