Ok
como se fala, "I could you use a laugh" em Portugues? ou pelo menos tem um expressao parecido? desculpe quis dizer "I could use a laugh"
Mar 11, 2011 4:23 PM
13
0
Não. Nada disso. I could use a laugh significa "Rir seria bom para mim", ou "Rir me faria bem". In English, if you say "I could use ...", it means "... could be good for me". Example: I am very tired. I could use some vacation. (Estou muito cansado. Umas férias me fariam bem.) or I have a terrible headache. I could use some aspirin. (Estou com uma dor de cabeça muito forte. Uma aspirina me faria bem) or still I am getting fat. I could use some exercise (Estou ficando gordo. Um pouco de exercício me faria bem). "I could use ..." means "... me faria bem", "... seria bom(boa)", ... me ajudaria", etc. This is a phrasal verb, it cant be translated literally. So there are many possible ways of saying "I could use a laugh " in Portuguese, such as: Uma risada me faria bem. Uma risada viria bem. Uma risada seria uma boa. Estou precisando rir um pouco. etc Don't mistake SMILE (sorrir) and LAUGH (rir). The former is just a facial expression to please someone else. The latter is also associated with a sound and shows the person is having fun (even if it is sarcastic).
I could use a laugh significa Rir seria bom pra mim. Estou precisando rir.
"I could use a laugh" = Eu poderia dar uma risada.
You can't literally translate that, so in my opinion the right way to say it in Portuguese would be "Preciso de me divertir" usually this stands for someone who needs to get cheered up, so then again, I think it would stand up better if you'd say "distrair" (distract, to get distracted) instead of "divertir" (amuse, to get amused). As Acauan said, "Uma risada me faria bem" could be the perfect translation but unfortunately that only works in Portuguese from Brazil. I hope I was clear, best regards o/
Thanks everyone for you responses. I think I have a much clearer picture now. However, since a few of you asked for examples here they are. Essentially there are two situations where I would use this phrase. The first is quite simple and straight forward. If a friend asked me if I would like to hear a joke, I usually respond "Sure, I could use a laugh". The second situation would be in the form of sarcasm. For example, my friend challenged me to a soccer match. Now I don't believe that he plays soccer that well or that he could beat me. So I said to him "I could use a laugh". This is sarcastic way of saying that I will so bad that it will be funny. Out of all the responses so far I think the following will apply to both situations. Uma risada me faria bem. Uma risada viria bem. Uma risada seria uma boa. Thanks once again for taking the time to respond to my question!
Ok
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
French, Portuguese, Spanish