Sanya
Be in the World and Be of the World What is the subtle differences between "she is in the world" and "she is of the world"?
Mar 12, 2011 4:10 PM
8
0
Your habit of throwing sentences up like this out of context is making learning quite difficult for you. You need to post the paragraph where you saw this stuff. 1. in the world = the meaning is obvious 2. of the world - angles, spirits and the like are "not of this world." This phrase is known in the bible, where Jesus says: "I am not of this world." If you say a woman is not of the world, then she is so beautiful you might think she is an angel from heaven.
difficult distinction. but I have never been one to turn my back to a good challenge. "She is in the world" is pretty simple. no connotation about it. She is simple a person, living on the planet earth. One living being , there. No other implications. The other phrase however, I would say does have some connotations. To say you are "of the world" implies that you are "worldy" or partaking in very human things. Worldy could mean you like money or fast cars. You are very impressed by what the culture dictates. You are essentially, governed by the world of humans
Thank you Andrew. Thank you Eliot. Both of your answers help me a lot to understand my question. Thank you both.
Sanya