Avatar
What are the differences among them? ex: 1.Soccer and baseball have more fans, but no other sport has increased in popularity so quickly over the past 30 years than has basketball. 2.Soccer and baseball have more fans, but no other sport has increased in popularity so quickly over the past 30 years than basketball has. 3.Soccer and baseball have more fans, but no other sport has increased in popularity so quickly over the past 30 years than basketball. These sentences above are all correct?What are the differences among them?I see the first sentence in an article.But I don't underestand why it use 'has baskball',not 'basketball has' .
Mar 13, 2011 8:07 PM
4
1
As a native, I would write, "....no other sport has increased popularity over the last 30 years as quickly as basketball. Technically, it is improper to end a sentence with a preposition. So you should never say, "... as basketball has." Many Americans erroneously end sentences with prepositions. The most common example is, "Where are you at?" This is slang, and indicates a lack of education. In your third example, the word "than" is not used properly.
I don't think there is something such as wrong about those sentences.U have said u saw the first sentence in an article. I think it's just the case of empahsing the fact that basket ball has really picked up populaity very fast when the writer uses the structure "than has basketball". In the second sentence the use of the word is redundant or extraneous and just means to imply the continuation of the idea that has been suggested in the first part of the sentence. For me the third sentence is the most appropriate of the lot. There is no need to use 'has' unnecessarily.
Yep. All three are correct. As for #1, that's a bit hard to explain. Just accept it is correct in such instances. Some more: No other person swims better than does Jack. No other person is better looking than is Jane. **Notice at the beginning "No other....".** Just learn it!
Your first sentence is incorrect, as the last few words follow a question order, not a statement order. For the third sentence, you need to replace "than" with "as", because you use "than" only when the comparison is different (more than, less than, but same as). The second sentence needs a tweak to make it correct: "...no other sport has increased in popularity MORE quickly over the past 30 years than basketball has (increased in popularity)." The extra information is cut out to avoid repetition. In this example, "has" works as an auxiliary verb; it is never a preposition.
Avatar
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Thai
English, Korean, Thai