kelvinho8
Under what circumstance we use active voice when the subject is an objective or things? Sorry, there is a typing error in my question. It should be an object not an objective.
Mar 16, 2011 4:24 PM
8
0
I think you mean passive voice! because only in passive we have an emphasis on the object. However, if the subject was an object or a thing, it doesn't necessairly mean that the sentence is in passive voice. for example: the lake shimmered the car backfired the computer is processing the data. the earthquake destroyed many houses so, here the sentences are not in passive though the subject is an inanimate or an object coz u still can turn them into passive like: The data is being processed many houses were destroyed I hope this could help...
What exactly are you talking about? Subject is subject, and object is object. The subject cannot be object.
I think you're confusing the grammatical object with an inanimate object. "The cup holds a lot of water." The cup is the subject of the sentence. This is active voice because we tell what the cup does. "A lot of water" is the (grammatical) object. "The cup is dropped." Again, the cup is the subject - the topic of the sentence. In this example we have passive voice: what happens to the cup.
An Active sentence in the simple present tense has the following structure: Subject + first form of the verb + object A passive sentence in the simple present tense has the following structure: Object of the active sentence + is/am/are + past participle form of the verb + by + subject of the active sentence
Miss Spammer's at it again!
kelvinho8
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English