bakra
How does one start with a new language?
Mar 17, 2011 6:43 PM
5
0
All the times that I started to learn a new language, by myself or with a teacher, I always started by the pronounciation. Then I learned some simple intoduction sentences, not analyzing it, just trying to get familiar with the sounds. Finally I learned some basic grammar and a lot of vocabulary. Once you've done this, you start to make real progress. You can gess what people say in movies and you can express yourself using simple sentences.
If you learn fixed expressions of greeting, introduction and getting around, you will also be learning some grammar, but in a less painful way. Learn how to greet people, both formally and informally and learn all of the expressions for addressing people: Mister, Madam, Miss; how are you? I am fine; my name is, what is your name? etc. Learning these short expressions will boost your confidence and make other feel at ease with you. Even if you can go no further in your conversation, letting others know that you are interested in trying to speak in their language will encourage them to help you. Start at Italki: http://www.italki.com/learn-french/en-us
By learning how to say Hello :)
I think the best way to start is learning all about verbs. (Tenses, conjugations, etc.) Once you know how to use verbs, you can start communicating!
bakra
English, French, Hindi
French