Jeremy Lee
新概念第四册中的一个句子看不懂。 Today enough soundings are available to enable a relief map of the Atlantic to be drawn and we know something of the great variety of the sea-bed's topography. Since the sea covers the greater part of the earth's surface it is quite reasonable to regard the sea-floor as the basic form of the crust of the earth, with superimposed upon it the continents, together with the islands and other features of the oceans. The continents form rugged tablelands which stand nearly three miles above the floor of the open ocean. From the shore-line out to a distance which may be anywhere from a few miles to a few hundred miles runs the gentle slope of the continental shelf, geologically part of the continents. The real dividing-line between continents and oceans occurs at the foot of a steeper slope. 由其是这句:with superimposed upon it the continents, together with the islands and other features of the oceans. The continents form rugged tablelands which stand nearly three miles above the floor of the open ocean. 请高手帮忙讲解,感激不尽
Mar 18, 2011 4:57 AM
3
0
都是一些从句套着从句的复杂句,我没法按照语法板板六十四地说教语法现象,帮你大致地翻译了一下,尽量保证和英文原句的结构排列,所以可能翻译的中文会有些拗口,反正就这么个意思,你可以对照的看看,有问题的那句我帮你略微地讲一讲。我记得NCE网上都是很详细的课文讲解和翻译的,你可以找找看。 Today, enough soundings are available to enable a relief map of the Atlantic to be drawn and we know something of the great variety of the sea bed's topography. 如今完善的水深测量技术已经足够帮助我们绘制出一份大西洋的海底地形图,我们也能基此对海底地形的变化情况略知一二 Since the sea covers the greater part of the earth's surface 既然海洋覆盖着地球的多数表面 it is quite reasonable to regard the sea floor as the basic form of the crust of the earth, with superimposed upon, it the continents, together with the islands and other features of the oceans. 那我们完全可以把海床看作地壳的基本外形,而覆盖在其地层上面的,就是大陆,当然还有岛屿和海洋的其他各类。 (be superimposed on/upon 意思就是“叠加在...上”,在这里就是指continents叠加在earth上面) The continents form rugged tablelands which stand nearly three miles above the floor of the open ocean. 大陆就是那些崎岖的高原,它们都高出广淼海洋底部近三英里以上。 From the shore line, out a distance which may be anywhere from a few miles to a few hundred miles, runs the gentle slope of the continental shelf, geologically part of the continents. 沿海岸线向大海延伸几英里到几百英里的区域,尽是大陆架的慢坡,或者从地质学上来说,它就属于大陆的一部分。 The real dividing line between continents and oceans occurs at the foot a steeper slope. 而大陆和海洋的真正界线则是在陡破之下。
HELLO My name favour Desmond never married before,i saw your account profile in this site today and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email direct to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am. Here is my email address(favour200desmond@yahoo.co.uk) I believe we can move from here!i am waiting for your mail to my email address above (Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life) (favour200desmond@yahoo.co.uk)
Jeremy Lee