Sanya
What is the connotation of 'use a few drops of salty water to study the ocean'? Thank you!
Apr 17, 2011 3:38 PM
Hi, I think that the English proverb equivalent to your's is "A drop of knowledge is greater than an ocean of strength".
April 17, 2011
Well I've never heard this phrase before. This could be a region specific saying and only people in that region say it or maybe I just have not met this phrase in any of my literary experiences. If I had to guess either it would mean: What you have is enough to understand the bigger picture. or What you have is NOT enough to understand the bigger picture. It would be good if you can provide a context of where you heard this phrase from.
April 17, 2011
It could mean: "Understanding and studying an intricate seemingly impossible to grasp phenomena ( the ocean ) could start by examing a sample of the particles ( few drops of salty water ) of which it is constituted. In general it says don't give up on understanding or studying anything, by examining the details and trying to understand the nature of the basic components making up the whole, you will then find it easier to slowly grasp the whole phenomena or subject, no matter how complicated it seemed at the beginning.
April 17, 2011
Sanya