alessandro 刘天武
Learning 汉字

Hi,

I've just begun to learn Chinese (about four months), and I'm searching the best way to learn.

You know everyone is different, and I'm testing different way to learn 汉字。

I'd like to share a bit of my experience, hoping other people share their.

First option, brute force, writing and saying aloud, 20 times or more.

Pro: easy to do;

Con: time consuming, boring, no so much effective (in my case).

Second option, story telling, try to invent story about, without regarding the real story/meaning of the character.

Pro: it seems a little bit effective for memory, fun

con: artificial, not related to real language, time consuming (to invent the story)

Third option: analyze character, in the real language term.

Pro: effective for memory, not artificial

Con: very time consuming, sometimes difficult to find information.

At the moment I've decided to do this way:

- write at least 20 times every new character 

- when I feel the character is not going to fix in my memory, I try to go a little deep about it (not with fake story), try to have some logical understanding of it

- use colours for tones

- make a paper flash card for every new character (to revise later)

This is my experience, hoping to hear soon from you!

Alessandro

刘天武 

Aug 23, 2014 1:50 PM
Comments · 13

Study radicals. Most hanzi have several compononts which are often radicals. For example 汉 is made up of radical 85 氵(Shui,3 drops of water) on the left and radical 29 又(you, again) on the right. 

Or 李 which is formed with radical 75 木 (mu, wood) on the top, and radical 39 子 (zi, child) underneath. 

This is how I remember the way to write them anyway. 

August 23, 2014

I think the best way is: writing every day 2 characters that they can applied in YOUR real life and try to listen to Chinese music to pick up the accent. 

In my opinion, technologies and internet is not that helpful to study Mandarin. You need to handwrite in order to fully understand this language, "far" from yours. 

goo.gl/492Olq

August 24, 2014

As a Chinese ,i want to say learn new characters are a little bit hard ,but it has some speaial ways to remember. Generally speaking ,you can according it's meaning.汉字came from ancient times ,so basically from nature. You can use pics help you remember the new characters.

Share with you a TED Talk link,it was talked about how to learn 汉字。

http://www.ted.com/talks/shaolan_learn_to_read_chinese_with_ease?utm_source=email&source=email&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ios-share

hope it can give you some help.

August 24, 2014
August 24, 2014

Here is a quick tip to share with you:

http://www.italki.com/discussion/79036

Hopefully your Chinese learning goes well!

August 24, 2014
Show more