“Opportunity”, “occasion,” “opening,” “chance,” “break.” All these nouns refer to a favorable time or circumstance.
An “opportunity” is the right moment to take action toward a definite goal.
“Occasion,” weaker than “opportunity,” suggests the proper time for action. “The victory was the occasion for celebrating.”
An “opening” is a favorable opportunity or chance, either an unexpected or awaited opportunity to embark on a new career or to launch an enterprise.
“Chance” implies luck or accident in the arrival of an opportunity.
“Break,” an informal word, is a chance occurrence; especially an unexpected opportunity. It adds to “chance” the idea that adverse circumstances have unexpectedly become favorable.
“Opportunity” is often followed by “for,” “of,” or “to,” as in opportunity for (or of) writing, opportunity to write.
Some examples:
You must grasp this opportunity. 你必须抓住机会
Don't hesitate; seize the first opportunity that comes along! 别再犹豫了,一有机会就抓住它!
I will go to see the film if I get the opportunity. 如果有机会,我将去看那部电影。
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their hard work on the project. 我愿借此机会感谢每一位为这个项目辛勤工作的人。
It was the chance she had been waiting for. 这就是她一直等待的机会。
Please give me a chance to explain. 请给我个机会让我解释一下。
I never miss a chance to play football. 我从不错过踢足球的机会。
We may lose a lot of support, but that's a chance we'll have to take. 我们或许会失去很多支持,但这个风险我们必须冒一冒。
You should go there if occasion arises. 如果有机会,你应当到那里去。
He gave me no chance to reply to his question. 他没有给我回答他问题的机会。
I will go to see the film if I get the opportunity. 如果有机会,我将去看那部电影。
It's a once in a lifetime chance. 这是一生难得的机会。
If only I had another chance. 要是我再有一次机会就好了。
Our chances of victory are very faint now. 现在我们取胜的机会已经微乎其微了。