Claire
Christmas Holidays: How will you keep up language learning over the break?

I am going travelling for three weeks over the Christmas holidays and I'm worried about falling behind or losing my progress over the break. How do you cope with long breaks from speaking and taking lectures?

Nov 29, 2015 7:16 PM
Comments · 12

You can download new German songs and write the lyrics down in notebooks in your mobile and in your free time or in transports listen those songs and repeat after the singer for your speaking skills. You can also buy funny short stories, magazines or something that you find interesting for your reading skills and you might find new words just translate it to understand the meaning and don't bother yourself to memorize them because if you do that, you will give up and say that is Holiday I don't want to study, but just easy reading for fun you will continue and Happy Christmas :)

November 30, 2015

Hi Claire,
Generally I tend to find that I have made a lot of notes over the year that are scribbled in a lot of different books, and they make relatively little sense or the notes are far to lengthy to read (copied pretty much exactly from the book). I like to reduce notes on grammatical rules into simple one sentence explanations. I like to draw up cheat sheet conversations, so that I can ask a variety of questions, and of course I learn some replies. I also make flashcards to assist with remembering words, even grammatical rules at times. I will also be catching up on a ton of homework I never got round to doing. I’m using it to kick of a more effective learning plan. My teacher is amazing, but if I don’t put the hours in outside of our two lessons a week it hinders the lesson a little, and we both have noticed a huge difference since I have been doing my homework :).

December 9, 2015

Thanks for all of your replies! 

I definitely agree with what you say Nada :-) Learning German is fun, and I would miss it if I didn't have the opportunity to do anything. But it is nice to have the option of opening up an exercise, and just doing as much as you want, without having to worry about finishing it or meeting a deadline

November 30, 2015

Install news apps on your phone, play radios, download podcasts, come here and write a diary about your trip and let the language work or simply let it be, don't worry about it, have fun, give your brain a break and start studying again when you're ready! 

November 29, 2015

The cheat sheet is for when I am in a lesson I can occasionally glance at it in order to not always distrupt the flow of conversation. 

December 12, 2015
Show more