Miriam
How to improve your speaking skills without a language partner
How about we collect some ideas on how one can improve their speaking skills when they can't afford an online teacher or moving abroad to live in an immersive environment and if they can't find a language partner. There are many users here who seem to believe that you can only learn to speak a foreign language when you have a language partner. Well, it's nice to have a language partner of course (and their feedback is very valuable) but you can learn a language without language partners. If I do language exchange then only after I learnt to speak the language, i.e. when I have an intermediate level. I also prefer to learn to speak the language before I take classes so that I don't use German or English as a crutch with the teacher.
So, what could be some ideas to learn to speak alone?
Talk to yourself in your head/aloud or to your pet.
- Recording yourself. You can either write a script or talk freely about any topic of your liking. You can either just listen to yourself in private, analyse your pronunciation and the mistakes you make or you publish your recording. I once found a podcast by someone who improved his English substantially by making a podcast about language learning. You could also make a vlog and publish it on Youtube. You could join the 30 Days speaking challenge and get feedback from native speakers on your recordings.
- Shadowing. It's a technique where you listen to a text several times and then speak the text aloud at the same time as the speaker.
- Dictation: Listen to a text in your target language and write down exactly what you hear. Choose a text that has an accompanying script, so you can compare your version with the original. 
- Dubbing. Do you have a favourite TV show that you basically know by heart? How about you watch it on mute and speak all roles in your target language? You don't have to translate what they actually say, you can also just make your own version of "bad lip reading" to spice things up a bit.
Now it's your turn. Did you try any interesting methods to learn to speak a language on your own?

Edit: All links removed
Sep 25, 2018 1:49 PM
Comments · 28

@Irena

I agree with you that the other skills are equally important in order to develop your speaking skills. I normally start learning languages by writing and reading and the speaking follows naturally. I just wanted to give some ideas for those, who don't have any other chance to speak and want to practise.

@Guyomar

Yes, a comprehensive input is very important and when you had a lot of input it's easier to start speaking. I had my first ever Spanish conversation after three months of mainly reading and writing and it already lasted half an hour without any problems. I've seen several learners complain when being told "watch videos, listen to podcasts". They insisted that they needed "a real person" to guide them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to learn. And that is totally a myth.

@Alice

I agree that talking to yourself isn't the same as talking to a real person. But language classes are a luxury. Many people don't live close to a local language school and one-on-one online classes are for the majority of people around the world either not affordable (an hour of English class costs more than the monthly income in Venezuela) or they can't transfer money internationally (e.g. learners from Iran). Often when learners post ads for finding language exchange partners, teacher or tutors respond and offer their paid services or users from wealthy countries suggest "forget free language exchange, book classes with a professional teacher". But it's easier said than done. And apart from the financial aspect are independent language learners capable of becoming conversational in a language without a teacher or language partner. It's more a matter of motivation and using the suitable methods and resources.

September 25, 2018

Beyond shadowing and finding ways to produce the language alone, I think the majority of the time should be used to listen to and read appropriate material for one's level in the target language. This applies whether one can afford teachers or find partners or not. Therefore it may seem that people who can't afford lessons or find a partner are at a huge disadvantage, but in fact, they don't have to be, if they let go of the popular idea that speaking is the most important part of learning a language.

For some languages, it's easier to find appropriate material than others, but in English, the language for which there is usually the most demand for partners, there is so much free and interesting material, and many ESLteachers have taken the time to group videos, articles, and podcasts according to the student's level. I advise people to find these recommendations.

I started speaking Spanish and Russian again after a period (almost a year in the first case, and six weeks in the second) of silence in which I wanted to focus exclusively on input. After 1-2 conversations, I was able to speak as comfortably as I had previously, and also use many new words and constructions that I've only come across in reading or listening, but never "practiced" or used myself in any speech or writing. 

The biggest obstacle to acquiring English (or other languages) isn't the lack of partners, the affordability of lessons, or the absence of opportunities to speak. Sure, it can be motivating to talk, gauge your progress, get feedback from a native speaker, and lessons can give structure by keeping you accountable. However, I don't think all this is essential. The biggest obstacle is the idea that speaking is the most important part of the process, and that you won't get anywhere significant without it. This leads people to give up, instead of spending time on the most important part of the process, which is free.

September 25, 2018
These are all good ideas, Miriam, but in addition to that, I'd say that if your other three skills (reading, writing, and listening) are strong, and then you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you need to speak, it won't take that long for your speaking skills to catch up with your other skills. Basically, you'll have a huge reservoir of passive knowledge (from reading and listening), plus experience producing the language (from writing). From there, it's only a small step to speaking. So, if you have little opportunity to speak, it may be best to invest heavily in the other three skills, so that when an opportunity to improve speaking arises, you can improve very quickly. 
September 25, 2018
Start teaching somebody who also cannot afford a partner. But be miles better in the language and constantly learn yourself how to improve it. Watch movies, listen to the radio and podcasts, read about the language and not about the language, pick up phrases which seem interesting to you and teach them to your vis-a-vie, pull yourself hard up by your bootstraps. And then eventually you'll get your own partner with whom you can speak with.
September 25, 2018

Make yourself a teacher of the target language to others.

My Chinese pronunciation wasn't good enough during my study in China for 3 years. I didn't pay attention to the tone before, my focus went mainly to reading and writing at the time.

After I went back to my country and started teaching as a private tutor, I forced myself to brush up the tones every single day, I literally memorized each tone of single words. My brains worked twice harder due to the responsibility of being a tutor unconsciously.

It does pay off eventually. 

Thank you for your detailed information on self-teaching methods.

September 25, 2018
Show more