Phil|Accent Trainer
Professional Teacher
Watch out for scammers:
I’ve just received a message from a so-called “Robert Williams”, claiming to be an American looking for a language partner. He’s clearly not a native English speaker (and clearly not from any English-speaking or European-language cultural background for that matter). I’ve reported the account already, and am sharing the message below so that italki members can get an idea of what this sort of fake message looks like — unfortunately, such messages are common on the internet, and this website is not the exception):

Hello, how are you, i would like to be your good friend and your language partner if you don't mind, my name is Robert Williams from United State of America........................i'm happy to write this message to you, I prefer Skype because I can talk with you and practice everyday my skype name is robertwilli676 please add me on your Skype so we can chat and get to now each other very well,i will be humbly hoping to hear from you..

Jan 21, 2019 4:15 PM
Comments · 25

I once received messages from a man threatening to kill himself. This is one of them,

Hi, I'm gonna kill myself If you don't help me with English language !

January 21, 2019

I have also received those kind of messages. All of them from men pretending to be native American, but from their grammar and style of writing you could easily tell that they were lying. 

I remember one message in particular. It was from a man claiming to be American and living in Syria. He told me a sad story about his family and explained that he was working undercover for the Government. He wasn't interested in learning Spanish. He just wanted my contact details. I just blocked him.

January 21, 2019
I'm not seeing where he is offering to help with English. He says he's from the US sure but lots of American citizens and non citizen residents are not natives. Was he claiming to be native in his profile? I feel like I am missing something that may be obvious? Maybe his last name being English?
January 21, 2019
I have been contacted by at least 4 people on this platform who were scammers. The last one, Joel, has stolen the picture's profile from an American journalist. I reported the problem to Italki and immediately their profiles were removed.
Scammers typically create fake online profiles designed to  lure you in. They may use a fictional name, or falsely take on the identities of real, trusted people such as military personnel, aid workers or professionals working abroad. Their messages are often poorly written and full of mistakes, even if they say to be American or English. Do an image search of these people. They use stolen image for their profile. You can use image search services such as Google. I used this system and every time I found these images on the sites where scammers were reported.
January 22, 2019
Tom: Sorry, I forgot to mention that he lists two languages on his profile — English as his native language, and Japanese as the language he’s supposedly learning. In any event, he claims to be from the USA and he’s calling himself “Robert Williams” (as you can see in the quoted message).

January 21, 2019
Show more