Richard-Business Eng
Professional Teacher
The Core Rules of Netiquette — Follow them; gain friends — Ignore them; lose friends
 Remember that you're dealing with humans
Be respectful
Never say something that could hurt someone's feelings
Never write or post anything you wouldn't say to the person's face (in person).

2 — Adhere to the same standards of behavior/behaviour online that you follow in real life.
Be ethical.
Think before your text or speak
Argue/debate politely - OK
Argue/debate impolitely - Never
It's OK to think that what you're doing at the moment is the most important thing in the universe, but don't expect that everyone will feel the same way.

3 — Be polite
Say please and thank you
If someone helps you, answers a question, makes a suggestion, or contributes to your discussion, say thank you
Acknowledge someone's help by giving them a thumbs up (an upvote) (then we know that someone read what we wrote)

Note:  On italki, many good members answer questions or make comments in someone's discussion. But if the original poster (OP) does not reply, does not upvote the comment, does not even acknowledge (show) that they saw your contribution, then the person who offered their help or comment may decide that they will not contribute to your posts anymore, and that's unfortunate.

Can you think of any other netiquette rules that we should add to this list?
Apr 8, 2019 11:55 PM
Comments · 10
Thank you very much for making this post, Richard. For months, I've been restless, speculating and guessing what OP means. Oftentimes I'd see it in posts and comments and I wanted to google it but always, always forgot to, and only remembered about this word when there was no internet connection around I could use. And now, after months of floundering, I see this post and read that OP stands for "original poster". I feel a strange sense of fulfillment
April 9, 2019
Isn't that the case!   You have to scroll through tons of language partner requests in search of something interesting to read.
April 9, 2019

Completely true!

Sadly, it will scroll off the screen in 26 minutes and will not be read by those who need to read it.

April 9, 2019

Dear Fulfilled... :)

I am so pleased to know that I have helped solve a great mystery for you.

When I first saw the acronym "OP", I also did not know what it meant.

I did a simple "OP acronym" Google search and discovered that the OP acronym has at least 114 meanings.

See for yourself:

https://www.acronymfinder.com/OP.html

April 9, 2019

@Richard - I don't have your talent for clear, succinct posts, but if I did, I would write a few lines about "nothing is free."  Everybody pays with a thank you, or mutual help (language exchange in this context), or money.  The "I want somebody to help me now for free” posts are galling but thankfully not universal.  I see a number of reasonable posts of "I offer language X practice for language Y practice."

April 9, 2019
Show more