Kanji
狐の嫁入り Fox's Wedding

日が照っているのに雨が降る現象を日本では「狐の嫁入り」(きつねのよめいり)と言います。
When rain falls while the sun is shining, people in Japan call the phenomenon "fox's wedding."

私はこの表現は日本固有のものと思っていましたが、実は世界中に同じような表現があるのだそうです。
I have always assumed this expression is indigenous to Japan, but I am now aware that similar expressions are found all over the world.

あなたのお国や地方では、この気象現象(天気雨、日照り雨)を表す何か面白い言葉がありますか。特に何か動物の行為に結び付けて呼ぶ表現がありますか。
In your country or region, are there any interesting words used to describe this weather phenomenon (known as sunny rain, sun shower, etc.)?  Particularly, words that relate this phenomenon to some behaviors of animals?

それにしても、天気雨を狐の嫁入りと呼ぶのは、日本だけではないということは、実に不思議です。
In any event, I find it uncanny that it is not only in Japan that a sun shower is called a fox's wedding.

以下および他のいくつかのWebページをざっと見ると、「狐の嫁入り」(fox's wedding) という言葉が少なくとも次の国や地域で見つかることがわかります。

A cursory check of the following and a few other web pages reveals that the phrase "fox's wedding" is found at least in the following countries or regions.

Armenia, Bulgaria, Basque and Galicia (Spain), Finland, Sri Lanka, Portugal, Southern Italy, Southwestern England, and the Malayalam language in the State of Kerala, India.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/584329.html

Apr 12, 2019 2:40 AM
Comments · 7
I'm not sure about the rest of America, but in the rural Southeast we have a fairly horrible expression: "the Devil is beating his wife."  The Devil is angry about  the beautiful day, and he is taking his anger out on his wife.  The rain is her tears.

On a happier note, I've read a few things from the UK that called sunshowers "monkey's birthdays." I have no idea what the backstory is, but it's a pleasant image.
April 21, 2019
Not really related to animals, but here in Brazil (at least where i live) when this phenomenon "chuva e sol" (rain and sun) happens we will usually say there is a "casamento de espanhol" (spaniard's wedding) happening. Cheap rhyme, but that's the only thing that comes to mind...
April 12, 2019
In Russia this phenomenon is called "mushrooms rain" (at least in the south of Russia).
April 12, 2019

@Chris

So it is not true that this phenomenon has no name in the U.S., at least not in the Southeast.  "Monkey's birthday" sounds familiar. Thank you for your addition.

April 21, 2019

@Guilherme

Thanks. I wonder why the reference to wedding in many parts of the world.

April 12, 2019
Show more