Richard-Business Eng
Professional Teacher
Two italki initiatives for Teachers and Tutors (and of interest to students)

Lesson Invitation: What is it?
Simply put, Lesson Invitation allows a teacher to invite his/her students to take lessons. Lessons initiated using Lesson Invitation can start in less, or more than 12 hours, and at any 15-minute interval.

Teachers/Tutors
Have you tried to use this function?
If yes, what are your thoughts?
Do you think the process and procedure are easy or difficult to use?

Students
Have you received one or more invitations from a teacher or tutor?
Do you like this process? 
Any comments?

________________________________________________________________________________

For Teachers > Latest Announcements > Introducing The New italki Teacher Site

The most recent comments from teachers are on page 11
(not on the first page – that would be too logical)

Teachers and Tutors
Have you made a comment here?
Have you received a reply from italki?
Have you read the comments?

Have you noticed the large number of teachers and tutors asking for the reinstatement of Instant Tutoring?

________________________________________________________________________________

Feb 28, 2020 12:14 AM
Comments · 12
I was contacted in this way by a teacher with whom I'd had my first class the previous week, and it made me feel very uncomfortable, almost as though I was being pushed to hurry up and book my next lesson. To compound matters the request was for a day when I am unable to book a class. As a result decided not to study with this particular teacher again.
February 28, 2020
Chris...

We must share some of the same DNA.
If I were a student who received an unwanted solicitation for a lesson, I would feel exactly as you did.
I hope you informed italki of your reaction to this incident; they may benefit from knowing your opinion.
Hopefully, you won't be bothered by any further solicitations.
Thank you for contributing to this discussion.
February 28, 2020
Tutor Zowee

I also considered the new Lesson Invitation scheme but decided that (1) the process was a little much, and (2) it feels like unwanted solicitation and heaven knows we get enough of that every day and everywhere on the internet.
Thank you for your comments

February 28, 2020
It would be more effective if they would bring instant tutoring back and teachers could indicate if they're available within a short time frame. The teacher's schedule is online anyway, so prospective students could check their schedule. But how is a teacher supposed to know if a student has time? It's not like students sit around fiddling their thumns, waiting for a teacher invitation. I definitely would consider it too pushy if a teacher would send me such an invitation after the first lesson.
February 28, 2020
After reading the English on the link provided I would suggest the entire page needs to be rewritten. That is to say the copywriters need to make it much clearer that it is only meant to be used to inform students that they [teachers/tutors] now have an available space due to.
1 another student cancelling.
2 a cancellation for any other reason.

AND
That a teacher/tutor can only inform regular students of any such cancellation during an active lesson.

An automatic invitation along these lines would help I believe.
"John one of my students cancelled I now have an empty slot next week at 15:00 my local time,
using italki''s new feature I can offer you this time rather than you waiting another three weeks. You are one of my most regular and committed students would you like to take this space that has become available in my teaching schedule, if you are able. There is no pressure for you to do so. If you cannot that is perfectly OK."

Conclusion to my argument.
The English used leaves something more to be desired. It is not absolutely clear. But that is how I read it. Once having read all of it and not jumping to the wrong conclusions after the first few sentences/paragraphs.

A student perspective and an "If i were a teacher/tutor perspective"
February 28, 2020
Show more