RinRin
If i learn Chinese can i understand Taiwanese when i go there? I started learning Chinese and then stopped and asked myself if it will even help me if i learn? If i learn how to talk Chinese, And go to Taiwan will i be able to understand them and them me? Or is the difference between the two languages too big ?? Please! i need answers! If it is a big difference, Is there anyone who is willing to help me learn Taiwanese?? Or Not help me literally but can anyone at least give me a good link to someone from youtube that teaches Taiwanese well? I really want to learn Taiwanese, I need serious help!!! D: Thank you in advanced.
Aug 5, 2013 2:28 AM
Comments · 12

Nowadays , more than 99 % Taiwanese can speak Mandarin fluently which is almost the same as China's official language aside from a couple of terms. The nuance is like the difference between British English and American English . It is supposed that if you can speak Mandarin learned in Taiwan , you may well communicate with Chinese speaking people in China . Chinese (Mandarin) is still the official language in Taiwan . 

In terms of Taiwanese ,also popular in Singapore ,  generally speaking , not every Taiwanese (Hokken) can speak fluent Taiwanese notably young people below 40 years old .  I am a fluent Taiwanese speaker and I assume most young people's Taiwanese level is worse than me . It is not easy to find a reliable Taiwanese language partner to practice Taiwanese, though here are lots of language lessons in Taiwan . But I do not think it is practical to learn Taiwanese at the moment while you are traveling in Taiwan especially you are not really living in Taiwan for a long time. If you really want to learn Taiwanese , I may practice speaking and listening with you in Taiwanese . Nevertheless, I am not a qualified Taiwanese(Hokken)  teacher so I would be unable to teach you Taiwanese in a systematic approach.

August 12, 2013

Thank you each and everyone! 

You've truely helped me! I am so greatful for that.

Thank you again. [:

<3

August 11, 2013
Thank you all so very much!! You have helped me so much! V,.V
August 5, 2013
Mandarin is spoken fluently by almost the entire Taiwanese population, except for some elderly people who were educated under Japanese rule.
July 2, 2021

Mandarin comes with two writing systems, Simplified and Traditional Chinese. What you've been learning is Simplified Chinese, which is the official language in Mainland China. In Taiwan, people use Traditional Chinese. It is not the same as its local dialect called Taiwanese. Almost everyone in Taiwan is fluent in Mandarin, but not everyone is fluent in Taiwanese. Not knowing Taiwanese should not post as a problem in communication. Simplified and Traditional Chinese mainly differ in some characters used. Some words and expressions mainlanders use are not commonly used in Taiwan. How big is the difference? It is hard to quantify. You may think of them as British English and American English. But it is my observation that people from mainland and Taiwan don't find communication with each other a problem. I was born and raised in Taiwan and my Taiwanese leaves a lot to be desired, but if there is any question about Traditional Mandarin please let me know. Taiwanese people are in general well educated, polite, and willing to help others. I am sure you will find plenty of them on this site to help you learn everything that is to be learned in Traditional Chinese and Taiwanese. Good luck!

August 11, 2013
Show more