Dri_
Why people think Italki is a dating site?
Sep 28, 2014 4:00 AM
Comments · 22

What exactly are you talking about? Receiving propositions in messages? On Skype? In sessions? And how often do you get these? I ask because I have neither instigated or received this type of attention, so I'm curious.

September 28, 2014
The messages you refer to are more like a type of spam than people using italki as a substitute for a dating site. You will notice that the messages are generally from people who are 1000s of miles away so a date would not really be practical. I have received such messages despite being a man and not speaking the language of the sender.
September 28, 2014
Apparently you are one of the ones who think it is. "You've made my mind go wild at first glimpse" is very disrespectful, and inappropriate here.
September 28, 2014

I'm a little concerned at a couple of comments which seem to excuse, doubt or explain away the original poster's complaint.  If one of us is getting unfairly targeted, shouldn't we (as the italki community) be worried and therefore aiming for a solution?

September 28, 2014

There are people on here who just want to harass women, but the majority consists of people who truly want to learn your language. Please do not think that all men on here want to harass you because most don't. I am a male and one time, when I talked to another male, he said I was an evil American who wanted to harass him, just because another American harassed him earlier. I just wanted to exchange languages with him, but he stereotyped me for no reason. Don't stereotype, but if someone does harass you, report them to make iTalki a better place. 

September 28, 2014
Show more