My odds are pretty good?

"I feel like my odds are pretty good."

Can someone tell me what is the actual meaning of this sentence?

Is it like "I'm good at doing silly things"?

Jan 13, 2016 10:22 AM
Comments · 9

'Odds' are a gambling term referring to the likelihood of something happening.


If you say 'my odds are good' it means that I think this is likely to happen. For example, if you have applied for a job, and you say "I feel like my odds are pretty good.", this means that you sense that you have a pretty good chance of getting the job.


Look up the noun 'odds' in a dictionary and you'll see how it's used.

January 13, 2016

It means that the person feels like they have a good chance at whatever it is they're referring to, that the odds are stacked in their favour. 

January 13, 2016

"Odd" and "odds" have different meaning.

"Odd" -> strange.

"Odds" -> chance.

So, if it odds, then it means that he always have a luck. I'm agree with Andrew.

January 13, 2016

I am not sure but may be 'somebody has a good chance at something'.

January 13, 2016

In horseracing, "the odds are 3 to 1" means that if you place a $10 bet on a horse, you will lose your $10 if the horse loses, but you will get your $10 back plus $30 more if your horse wins.

In probability, "odds" is another way of expressing probability. If the odds are 3 to 1 against you, it means you have a 25% chance of succeeding and a 75% chance of failing. If the odds are 3 to 1 in your favor, it means you have a 75% chance of successing and a 25% chance of failing.

"My odds are pretty good" mean "my chances of succeeding are pretty good."

For example:

"Do you think we need to buy advance tickets online for <em>Star Wars: The Force Awakens?</em>"

"I wouldn't bother. I think we should just go and take our chances. At an 11 a.m. showing, I'd say our odds of getting seats are pretty good."

January 15, 2016
Show more