What are there marks?

These days I found some English website and I took notice of that some people like use some marks like ":)" and ":p" and so on. I don't understand what does that mean.I guess those are some kinds of face. Are there any other expressions expressed by these marks ?

Jul 31, 2014 8:01 AM
Comments · 4

yes, they are expressions.

:].  :) means something like "I'm glad" or "I'm happy"

:p -  I am not sure, but I think we use that to say that we understood something.

:D or :d - means something funny

:(,  :/  ,  :[- unhappiness

:s - that means we don't know what to say or we are sorry for something.

If I don't write something, tell me about that and I'll try to translate.


July 31, 2014

Yes, they are emoticons, and the form can change between cultures. Typically, :) is a smiling face for me, but with my Russian friends this becomes ) and with Korean friends it's ^_^

Sometimes you just have to turn your head to see it, or assume the characters make a picture somehow. There are thousands, and of course we can invent as many as our keyboards and creativity allow.


Just a couple of notes on Jurek's starter list: the :p emoticon is a face with the toungue out. It means the person is joking. :D is a laughing face, but :d can mean a person is hungry (licking the lips).



July 31, 2014

Well, I see. I feel that Asian people like to use emotion marks like ^_^ more. 

July 31, 2014