What's schwa?
Sep 15, 2008 11:06 PM
Answers · 5
in phonetic translation it's the name of mid-central vowel sound you can search for the ipa [international phonetic alphabet] table to see it, it's written as ə its sound is similar to 'a' in about [əˈbaʊt], 'e' in taken [ˈteɪkən], 'i' in pencil [ˈpɛnsəl], 'o' in eloquent [ˈɛləkwənt], 'u' in supply [səˈplaɪ], 'y' in sibyl [ˈsɪbəl]
September 15, 2008
anushka, "ə" not a vowel or letter of any kind in English. You're thinking of the letter e.
September 16, 2008
it's the most common vowel in english BTW
September 16, 2008
Schwa is written with this symbol: ə (written like "e" turned on its head). It is not a letter of the alphabet, but it is a symbol used to show how to pronounce something. It is an unstressed vowel, with a neutral pronounciation. From the wikipedia page {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa} here are examples of vowels in certain words that all get pronounced with the schwa sound: like the 'a' in about [əˈbaʊt] like the 'e' in taken [ˈteɪkən] like the 'i' in pencil [ˈpɛnsəl] like the 'o' in eloquent [ˈɛləkwənt] like the 'u' in supply [səˈplaɪ] like the 'y' in sibyl [ˈsɪbəl]
September 15, 2008
Maidhc, I mean it's the most common vowel SOUND. e is the most common letter, consonant or vowel, yes. Plus-how does one learn Gaelic?
September 19, 2008
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!