I wander whether British people use "fansy going to ~" in their lives. My teacher tought me the usefull phrase " fansy ~". But I have never heard them from my friends yet... They say usually other wards like " what about ". So I've got question that whether the phrase is really usual.
May 7, 2016 7:17 PM
Answers · 10
Yes it is commonly used. Your teachers and/or text books aren't lying to you. It's spelled 'fancy" though.
May 7, 2016
Yes, definitely. As Paul says, the word is 'fancy', and it is commonly used in Britain. It's a verb that can have a noun as a direct object: 'Do you fancy a drink?' 'I fancy a curry' 'Would anyone fancy a game of cards?' Or it can have a gerund as its direct object: 'Does anyone fancy helping me in the garden?' 'Do you fancy going clubbing?' 'I fancy having a go at that competition.' As you see, you can use this as a question or a statement - it means that the idea of something appeals to you at the moment. It's similar to the informal use of 'feel like' + object - 'I feel like a beer' or 'I feel like going for a walk'. NB Note that if someone says that they fancy a person, it means that they are physically attracted to them. I hope that helps and that it reassures you that your teacher was telling you the truth!
May 7, 2016
Yep, it's quite a friendly, casual word you can use instead of 'want'. I think it's mainly used here in the UK though. If you have a crush on someone you can also say you "fancy" them.
May 7, 2016
Like everyone else said, it's commonly used in Britain or the UK, as a verb, However, we don't usually use the word 'fancy' as a verb in America. We use it as an adjective to describe things that are elaborate or luxurious. Maybe your friends don't use it because they're American?
July 9, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!