“light fixture” vs “lighting fixture” - for native speakers of English A woman I know from the US (native speaker) used the word “lighting fixture” about this: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0051/9342/products/ph-artichoke-lamp-copper-finish_grande.jpg?v=1446866178 I haven’t been able to look up “lighting fixture”, but I realised there is also another word “light fixture” and I wondered if “lighting fixture” and “light fixture” are two versions of the same word or if there is a difference in meaning. Does anyone know? Thanks for your help!
Feb 8, 2017 6:37 PM
Answers · 17
Here in America we use it to mean the same thing. A light/lighting fixture is wall or ceiling mounted. The difference comes when we use one over the other. 'Lighting fixture' generally refers to a selection of light fixtures at a store that sells them. Ex: "Home Depot has a huge selection of lighting fixtures" Ex: To the clerk at Home Depot I'd say: "I want to buy that light fixture" Ex: "I bought a new light fixture today" Note: This isn't a fixed usage but generally this is how we think of it.
February 8, 2017
At the risk of confusing the issue further, in the UK we generally say 'light fitting'. Does that ...um... fit?
February 8, 2017
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!