Michelle Christopher
Does anyone know how to make an umlaut on an American (English) keyboard?
Nov 15, 2017 8:30 PM
Answers · 3
One way is to use a "alt" key combination : ä = alt + 0227 ö = alt + 0246 ü = alt + 0252 You do this by holding down your "alt" key, and key in the numbers in sequence.
November 15, 2017
Charles' suggestion is what I usually do. You didn't mention what platform you are asking about. Windows? On older versions of windows, there was a character map that you could use to insert characters. In office, I think there are some key combinations. Other word processing programs might also do the same. Another option is to have a document with accented characters open that you can copy and paste from.
November 16, 2017
1.) - Use Alt-Codes - As depicted above (google the rest?) 2.) - Use a different keyboard setting on your pc - google could help 3.) - If all hell should break loose, you can always substitute the following: ä = ae | ü = ue | ö = oe | ß = ss While this may be a provisional solution, it should at least help you to some degree.
November 15, 2017
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!