Anna Wang
what do native English speakers usually say? what native English speakers usually say when describing a road that was divided into three side roads?a fork in the road or a junction of three roads? or forked roads?
Nov 16, 2017 12:37 PM
Answers · 6
(I'm a U.S. native speaker). I would just call it "an intersection." Much depends on the details of the specific junction, and what it is called locally. A "fork" in the road is fairly specific; it means that road you are on divides into two different roads, each of which continues in almost the same direction as the road you are on. You hardly make any turn at all. You just "bear left" or "bear right." Very often, one of those two roads has the same name and technically is the same road as the road you were on. If five roads meet in a single point, or almost a single point, it would be called "a five-way intersection." Such intersections often get the local name "Five Corners." On a highway, where the division of the road is carefully engineered, it is often called "a split."
November 16, 2017
A fork in the road would be where two roads split into a Y. "The road forks ahead. When you come to the fork in the road, take veer right." For three roads you can use junction, intersection, branch, or slit. "The road branches into three parts. When you come to the junction, take the middle road."
November 16, 2017
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!