Neky Choi
What is "language flunkeyism?" called in English exactly? I want to express something in English, but I can't find out how to do exactly. The thing is, roughly speaking, "language (or linguistic?) flunkeyism," which means thinking your language is inferior to the other language, so you disparage your language: "my language is vague, uneconomical compared to language B." How can I express this in English? There are no words like "language flunkeyism," "language toadyism," or something like that. <key points> - disparaging your language - thingking your language is inferior to the other language - unballanced thoughts about those two languages
Dec 3, 2017 4:08 AM
Answers · 6
"Inferiority Complex" "I have an inferiority complex with my language, I always think my language is worse than others." Bias I am biased towards my own language, I think that my language is inherently worse than others. Pedastaling He totally puts X on a pedestal and thinks it is better than Y for no good reason. language bias (medical journal language) The tendency for editors and readers to pay greater attention to scientific studies reported in their native language than to those studies written in other languages. Hope it helps! :)
December 3, 2017
flunkeyism makes me think about flunking a test/abandoning studies, so I would have thought it was about picking up a second language and then abandoning it
December 3, 2017
I don't know if there is a word for that exactly. There is what's called linguicism which is the unfair treatment of an individual based solely on his or her use of language such as an accent, vocabulary, syntax, etc, according to Wikipedia - But, I don't think this really answers your question. Sorry maybe someone else knows of something. :) Good luck.
December 3, 2017
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!