From GreeceLiving in Khania, Greece (17:45 UTC+02:00)
italki teacher since Jan 27, 2024
My name is Athanasios. I am a native Greek speaker, but I have also lived in the US and UK for a significant amount of time. Living back and forth between Greece and English-speaking countries has shaped a bilingual mind in me. Engaging in linguistics, chasing after etymological roots, and pondering over the definitions of words, are what fascinate me.
I have an interest in Biblical Greek and Greek Philosophy, and having good explanatory communication that is insightful for the student is what I consider a skill of mine. Also, I like to reduce the atmosphere of the class to a relaxed and easy feeling.
Other hobbies include web designing, writing, researching, traveling, and reading.
Me as a Teacher
As a teacher, I find myself functioning the role in daily with people all the time. Whether to a Greek speaker on English or vice versa, I go to deep lengths to reach the true meaning of things and convey it to people; officially as their teacher, or not. I've also been hosting Biblical Greek studies to people for about 4 years consecutively.
So I figured I turn passion into a joy job.
Listening to the student and meeting them at their level, is key. The teaching comes first; getting paid is secondary. If I see progress in a student, and especially if I see joy in their eyes, that's having fun for me. And I can only achieve this effect if I prioritize tailoring myself around the student.
My lessons & teaching style
1. Learn the interests and needs of the student.
2. Keeping the class relaxed and the students at ease
3. Find where the student is at in their understanding of the language and begin teaching accordingly.
4. Adjust the teaching material around them, or create new ones for them - with personal additions.
5. Conversation practice will be plentiful and non-stressful. People learn when they have fun too.
6. Visual examples along with words, terms, and phrases are used to help with memorisation.
7. Repetition, is repeated.
8. I use colloquial and informal words and expressions, to introduce them to what they will expect from the culture. Fitting in the culture can encourage a student a lot.
My teaching material
1 lessons completed
Learn the Greek Alphabet, Greek Accentuation & Practice Pronunciation
A1General2 lessons completed
Learn the Pronouns and Their Usage in Greek.
A1General0 lessons completed
Learn & Practice Greek Conversation, and How to be Culture Wise
A2Conversation Practice5 lessons completed
Based on your timezone (UTC+00:00)
5 Greek lessons
Sakis was friendly and encouraging; I felt comfortable using my very limited Greek skills with him. He speaks very clearly and slowly enough for me to follow. I have already signed up for more lessons with him!
Feb 17, 2024
5 Greek lessons
Athanasios was ready to help me with the pronunciation and other issues I need to work on. he also wrote practice sentences to fit my research interests which I appreciated very much.
Feb 20, 2024
5 Greek lessons
Athanasios helped me review some basics, but also was ready to let me try out some conversation too. He is easy to speak with and seems genuinely to enjoy the lessons.