shou
You Are a Shoe. We can hear a phrase, "You're a shoe", from the Amerian drama 'friends' episode 1-1: Rachel: C'mon Daddy, listen to me! All of my life, everyone has always told me, 'You're a shoe! You're a shoe, you're a shoe, you're a shoe!'. And today I just stopped and I said, 'What if I don't wanna be a shoe? What if I wanna be a- a purse, y'know? Or a- or a hat! No, I'm not saying I want you to buy me a hat, I'm saying I am a ha- It's a metaphor,Daddy! I will introuduce an interesting discussion about the phrase between Japanese people. F: "You're a shoe" is a slang which means "a person who is not satisfied with whatever he does." B: I think "shoes are worn by a person, and go along the road without its ownwill," so the phrase means "a person live the way the other person, especially their parent, wants." R: In comparison with bag and hat, shoes are not outstanding, and it reminds me of "the thing that is left to another person." Whose interpretation is right?
Jan 6, 2016 4:06 AM
1

You Are a Shoe.

We can hear a the phrase, "you're a shoe,", from the Amerian drama 'Friends' episode 1-1:

Rachel: C'mon Daddy, listen to me! All of my life, everyone has always told me, 'You're a shoe! You're a shoe, you're a shoe, you're a shoe!'. And today I just stopped and I said, 'What if I don't wanna be a shoe? What if I wanna be a - a purse, y'know? Or a- or a hat! No, I'm not saying I want you to buy me a hat, I'm saying I am a ha - It's a metaphor, Daddy!

I will introuduce an interesting discussion about the phrase as used between Japanese people.

F: "You're a shoe" is a slang phrase which means "you're a person who is not satisfied with whatever he does."

B: I think "shoes are worn by a person, and go along the road without its own will," so the phrase means "a person lives the way the another person, especially their parent, wants."

R: In comparison with a bag and hat, shoes are not outstanding, and it reminds me of "the thing that is left to another person."  (I am not sure I understand what you mean here).

Whose interpretation is right?

*among Japanese people.
Would you correct my English too?