cici
What is the difference between people and persons,please help me ,I really confused,thanks.
May 13, 2011 1:52 AM
'people' is a collective noun referring to a group of 'persons' A 'person' is a man,woman,girl, boy ,in short any human being . The noun refers to one's individuality as existing separate from other 'people' as a group. 'He is a nice person.' 'I don't like the people I met tonight in the party." 'people' could also refer to the group of persons belonging to a certain race or nation: 'the people of China.'
Persons can be counted. People don't. English have countable nouns such as cars and uncountable such as vehicle; cats vs animals. We can say 3 cats but not 3 animals (we can say 3 types of animals). With uncountables we need a quailifier to them. We have to say 3 cups of rice or 3 grains of rice.
person是一个个体名词,代表的是"一个人",people是一个集体名词,指“人们”“大众,百姓”people一般木有复数形式,但是当people词末加-s时候,它表示“民族”。而person这个词是有单复数的,是可数名词,一个人表示为“a person,多个人是many persons...不过表示多个人的时候一般不这么说,而是说成many people。。。不知道你对这个答案满不满意,这是我的个人见解
cici