liv
What's the difference among because of, due to, thanks to, owing to??How do you guys use them? What's the difference among because of, due to, thanks to, owing to??How do you guys use them?
Owing to the rude nature of the comment, I was inclined to respond. Because of my impeccable upbringing, I was able to present my best appearance (manners, etiquette, social dialogue) at the formal dinner. Thanks to the rabbit that hopped in front of my moped, I ran into a fruit stand and had oranges rolling down the street. Owing to my extreme good fortune, I was able to win a place on Dancing With the Stars.
╮(╯▽╰)╭ Well,I guess that learning language is actually more about follow the words,clusters or whatever other people would use in different situations,that's why they gradually get to tell the difference and don't make mistakes.I don't know if these words have subtle difference even though I can use them correctly in my conversation,So I'm here to ask if these words have a difference.Anyway,your point is well taken.Thx.
Owe or owing would not be used as "because" in common speech or even proper speech. This is how owe is used: I will owe the bank money for the house till I die. I will be owing all of you back if you guys will do this for me. Thanks to is used when giving credit. That credit can be honestly grateful credit or sarcastic credit: Honest Thanks to you, I will be able to get there on time.(grateful) Sarcastic Thanks to you, I will be late. (not truly grateful) "Due to" and "because" works like "thanks to* except that there is no gratefulness nor sarcastic-gratfulness added. It is more like saying a fact with "the reason is" or "the cause is." Due to the rain, we must stay inside. We must stay inside because of the rain. The reason we must stay inside is it is raining. The cause of our remaining inside is rain.
But did you also consider the possibility of having them all learnt by not digging/the skill of not being able to tell the so-called "differences"? Your philosophy here seems to be kind of structuralism, but the funny side is, depsite your trying so hard not to be "like other Chinese students", you're exactly doing what they do. Do you honestly believe your native speakers had to do a paper on "differences among..." and search the rules of how to use such 4-5-or-so-close-word-clusters from their bio-database and finally decide which to pick today every time they use them, say, even when they were little and hadn't mastered their native language?
Because that all the words that I came across,which make me comfused.You know,I'm not always struggling about the exact meaning of every word like other Chinese students,but if these words do come to puzzle me,I will search for help and that's why I come to this website,What's the point of comming to this website if I was questioned by native speaker why my skill about asking questions sucks.right?
liv