Vanessa García
I hope.... I am struggling with this grammar in negative form; 1) I hope he loves me. I hope he doesn´t love me. 2) I hope come earlier tomorrow. I hope not to come earlier tomorrow / I hope I don´t come...? / I hope no to come? I don´t know how to form this phrases in negative. Also could you give me another examples? Thank you! :)
Mar 15, 2014 5:22 PM
1) is correct. That sounds very natural. 2) "I hope I don't come earlier tomorrow" is correct and sounds the most natural of the choices you've listed. However, it would sound better to say "I hope I don't arrive earlier tomorrow."
I agree with Devin's answer, but I'll try to explain the format... "I hope (that) X." "I hope (that) he loves me." Notice that a statement follows "I hope", and "that" is implied. So, you just change the statement to a negative sentence. "I hope he doesn't love me." "I hope I don't come earlier tomorrow." (The positive sentence should have been, "I hope I come earlier tomorrow.")
Vanessa García