Autumnholic Pau
How do you call a person who sells on the street? I'm searching through a couple of translator pages I know about to get the accurate word to call that kind of sellers but I only find pejorative words. This seller I'm talking about is a person that doesn't move from his/her place. He or she opens out a blanket or something like that and puts all over it his/her material to sell, commonly bags or glasses of imitation or fake. So I want to know if there's a word for this kind of sellers.
Jul 3, 2015 11:57 AM
Answers · 15
I guess just 'street seller' is how people would describe them in the UK. Or 'street vendor'. This seems to be what you're looking for, although I've never heard the name 'hawker' to describe them. 'Peddler' is another word that I've heard used for them.
July 3, 2015
Street vendor is the best word.
July 3, 2015
Hawker and peddler are used sometimes, but street-seller in probably more common these days. Street-seller is probably the most neutral. Hawkers and peddlers may be stationary, or may travel. When I was a child people would sometimes walk up the street hawking their wares. (selling their goods/things). French onion sellers were a common sight, peddling their wares from their bicycles. Sadly, they don't do it nowadays. I miss them. So, for people selling from a fixed position, street seller, or street vendor, is probably best. I think.
July 3, 2015
July 3, 2015
How do you call? HEY YOU! :D and loudly. What do you call? Street vendor - check google 'hawker synonym' or Street vendor
October 29, 2016
Show More
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Autumnholic Pau
Language Skills
English, Spanish
Learning Language