Jeff
phrases in context. 1/I'm about to drink a coffee. Can I say 'I am to drink a coffee'? 2/My daughter wanna give me a leaf from a tree branch. Does she 'rip it off the branch' ? 3/ We're playing with some dough, suddenly she takes the dough and 'throw it / throw it down / throw it away' ??? Same question if we're are lunching and she does the same thing with her food. What do I say to her? Don't .... your food (on the floor).
1. You would literally say, 'I'm about to drink a coffee.' or 'I'm going to drink coffee.' 2. Your daughter, 'rips it off the branch.' 3. She, 'throw some dough.' 4. You would say, 'Don't throw it on the floor.' For 2, 3 and 4 you are using present tense. However for speaking in the third person i.e. she/he/it you need to add an -s. So instead of, 'I throw the dough' it becomes, 'She throws the dough.' Hope that helps :)
You have created a good statement using to be + infinitive, but this construction is used only in formal English, especially writing. Your situation is very informal and so your first option - about to + verb - is perfect. "rip the leaf off the tree" is probably a bit strong unless she was very angry. If her movement was normal, you could just say "take / pick a leaf off / from the tree". "throw" is the correct verb. In your case, your identified where she wanted to throw the dough (on the floor). "throw away / out" is used as a synonym for "dispose of".
Jeff
English, French, Spanish