College and university Hi everyone! Could you explain what is the difference between college and university in USA?
Feb 7, 2016 6:29 PM
Answers · 7
In the United States, a college offers undergraduate (i.e. first) degrees. A university consists of multiple schools that offer both undergraduate and graduate (i.e. second or third) degrees. For example, Harvard University consists of Harvard College (undergraduate) as well as multiple graduate schools (Harvard Law School, Harvard Medical School, etc.)
February 7, 2016
In the UK, universities are where you go to study for both undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses. Colleges are where you go to learn vocational things like hairdressing, mechanics etc.
February 7, 2016
In America we generally say ' college graduate , I only use University graduate when I am speaking to someone from England, because there is a difference between earning degrees and going to a vocational school to learn a new trade.
February 8, 2016
I know that means the same in USA. but in Britain these words have different meaning.
February 7, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, German, Russian, Swedish
Learning Language