James Cass
Meaning of 연습해 부시고요. At the end of some talktomeinkorean lessons I hear them say: A: 연습해 부세요. B: 내, 연습해 부시고요. I know that both mean 'try to practice', I'm just wondering how the ending -고요 affects the meaning. I know 고 usually adds the meaning 'and' but as it's the same sentence again, I can't work out what meaning it adds. Thanks if you can help!
"연습해 보시고요 / 연습해 보세요" 보시고요 here doesn't mean anything specific but just smooths the ending leaving a nuance of something continuing. It is a bit like "You (can/will) practice it (and we'll go from there ...). 연습해 보세요 sounds like a direct order, so people tend to avoid it unless it's really necessary. The ~고요 form is particularly useful at places like a hospital where they have to give instructions constantly: 이리로 오시고요, .. 다음에 여기 올라서시고요, .. 숨을 크게 들이마시고요, .. (You want to follow me, .. step on this thing, .. inhale deeply, ..)
Clearly I meant 보 instead of 부!
James Cass
English, Korean, Spanish
Korean, Spanish