José Goris
English at primary school in Italy Dear Italki students and teachers I would like to know if children learn English at primary school in italy. From which grade? And how many lessons a week? Thank you.
Hello Adriana, yes we are taught English in grammar school, although by and large rather poorly I have to say. As for the frequency and overall hours, from what I can remember it might be around two hours a week probably? It was a long time ago, so I can't tell for sure, but I think those are the figures. So, basically a kid in Italy has two mandatory English classes per week covering the basics - as you would expect at that young age... Sadly, only in a small percentage of cases classes are taught by a native speaker and taken seriously (by students and teachers alike!)...that accounts for the difference between the notoriously good English spoken in the Netherlands and our...interpretation of it, I guess. There are exceptions to that though!
Hello Adriana. I started learning English at the age of 6 (first year of primary school) and we had a couple of lessons per week, as Carlo said before, but never with a native speaker. We did a lot of grammar but little or nothing as regards conversation and the pronunciation we were taught was approximate. I don't know how it works nowadays!
Recently English is taught also in kindergartens, but not everywhere, I think. At primary schools it's taught from the first year, but I couldn't say how many times a week.
José Goris
Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Swedish
Polish, Swedish