Mohamed Qatari
What is the difference between "sports clothing" and "sports clothes"? Hello world! In the following sentence: " The first three floor have a huge range of sports clothing. " Can I also use clothes instead of clothing? And are there any grammar can explain this ? Thank you all
Dec 4, 2016 8:16 AM
Someone else can get into the grammar, but for me your suggestions are both correct and interchangeable. That said, I would replace 'huge' which is seriously overused in English at the moment and consequently meaningless.
December 4, 2016
Hi, I am not a native speaker of English but I think I heard years ago that there is a slight difference. Clothes is more appropriate when you want to focus on a piece of what you are wearing (e.g. a suit, a pair of trousers). Clothing, on the other hand, is an expression that is kind of a generic term of all things you can wear. However, I also think that in common conversations “clothing” and “clothes” can considered to be interchangeable. But as I just said, I cannot provide any proof of my opinion. Regards, Paul
December 4, 2016
Mohamed Qatari
Arabic, English, German, Spanish
English, German, Spanish