Terry
Why did the writer use the word "other" in"other purposes"? Could you explain? Sheets of paper exist almost entirely for the purpose of carrying information, so we tend to think of them as neutral objects. We rarely interpret marks on paper as references to the paper itself. However, when we see the text, characters, and images on an artifact that serve other purposes, we generally interpret these marks as labels that do refer to their carriers. Why did the writer use the word "other" in"other purposes"? Could you explain? I think before other purposes appear, one purpose should appear. I don't know what one purpose is. One purpose ~~~~~ and other purposes. Like this.. Could you explain it to me?
ok so.. One purpose is carrying information. since there are more purposes and the writer does not want to name all of them, the writer uses "Other purposes"
Hi terry. Ok, so the ONE purpose is that paper carries information. It then refers to objects that serve other purposes. Fir example- if you see writing or marks on paper you assume it means something as carrying information is its purpose. If you see marks on, for example, on a food vox we don't pay attention as much as it's main purpose is to hold food.
Terry