Jang Joonggun
Grammar Question concerned with tense text: Although the total net anthropogenic would barely change in the meantime, until we REACHED a point at which we could no longer reduce any more aerosols, the energy imbalance of the earth would not worsen. from: http://www.easterbrook.ca/steve/2012/04/aerosols-are-they-good-or-bad/ Question: I found this sentence while I'm studying English. 'reached' is fine? I think it should be replaced with 'reach', the present tense. What do you think about it?
Nov 10, 2017 7:40 AM
Looking at the whole paragraph on the link you posted (complicated stuff!), I think you're right, but you need to change one more thing: Although the total net anthropogenic would barely change in the meantime, until we REACH a point at which we could no longer reduce any more aerosols, the energy imbalance of the earth WILL not worsen. The second two phrases are linked together and form a future time clause. So one of the clauses needs to have 'will' in it and the other a time clause word (in this case "until"). If I am reading this correctly that is. Hope it helps!
Jang Joonggun