Danielle
How to express “x*2” in English? And “x^3” “x^4”
x^2 is "x squared." x^3 is "x cubed." For anything else, we use the ordinal name for the exponent. For example, x^5 is "x to the fifth power" or, more often, "x to the fifth" for short. x^n is "x to the nth." Notations like x^5 are used in situations where there is no capability for mathematical typesetting. It is used casually online, in most modern computer languages, and in many spreadsheets. In typeset material, the ^ symbol would not be used, and the exponent would be written as a superscript, and set in smaller type than the letter "x."
Based on your second comment, Dan, i think you mean x^2. This would be read as "x squared plus two x minus three".
Yes, that's what I want to know. Your answers help me a lots. (^_^)
No problem. In case you're wondering, x^3 is called "x cubed" and x^n (where n is higher than 3), is called "x to the power of n" (replace n by any number).
Sorry, I uesd the wrong symbol to make you misunderstand. :-P Thank you for your help!
Danielle
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese