Michelle Christopher
Does anyone know how to make an umlaut on an American (English) keyboard?
Nov 15, 2017 8:30 PM
Answers · 3
One way is to use a "alt" key combination : ä = alt + 0227 ö = alt + 0246 ü = alt + 0252 You do this by holding down your "alt" key, and key in the numbers in sequence.
November 15, 2017
Charles' suggestion is what I usually do. You didn't mention what platform you are asking about. Windows? On older versions of windows, there was a character map that you could use to insert characters. In office, I think there are some key combinations. Other word processing programs might also do the same. Another option is to have a document with accented characters open that you can copy and paste from.
November 16, 2017
1.) - Use Alt-Codes - As depicted above (google the rest?) 2.) - Use a different keyboard setting on your pc - google could help 3.) - If all hell should break loose, you can always substitute the following: ä = ae | ü = ue | ö = oe | ß = ss While this may be a provisional solution, it should at least help you to some degree.
November 15, 2017
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Michelle Christopher
Language Skills
English, German
Learning Language