Beebee
Do you use SAT words in daily life? and how about IELTS, TOEFL?
However, that doesn't mean that it is vital to learn them. I have a very good vocabulary, but I have never studied a word list. I've simply learned words, one at a time, over the years, by encountering them in actual use. Of course, if you have to pass a test, you have to pass a test. I would say that the SAT lists are reasonably connected to things a college student needs to know. They are not just an artificial barrier. They are not chosen just to be hard.
I found what claims to be a list of 100 words from an official SAT practice test: https://www.majortests.com/sat/wordlist-16 Out of that list of 100, here are some that I can easily imagine encountering in daily life. They could be used in newspaper reviews or opinion pieces. (My examples are invented). "Allusion" ("the title of Haddon's play is an allusion to a Sherlock Holmes story"); "ambivalent" ("I have ambivalent feelings about Sacha Baron Cohen's show"); "analogy;" "anecdote" ("in his stump speech, he always uses an anecdote about..."), "anomalous" ("the latest job statistics are anomalous;") "belligerence" ("his UN speech contained more belligerence than diplomacy,") "candid" (in the phrase "candid photograph,") "cherished" (that isn't an advanced word at all!), "cliche" ("that movie is full of stale cliches and old tropes,") "cryptic" (there's a kind of puzzle called a "cryptic crossword,") "currency" (the papers have used it dozens of times in stories about Venezuela), "derivative," "dilettante," "dispassionate," "dubious," "egalitarian" (in recent stories about US university admissions policies)... I'm only up to "e" and I'd say more than half of the words are reasonable. Furthermore, the SAT is used to test readiness for college (i.e. university), and I think the words are well selected, in the sense of being words that a college student really would hear and use in college. Here are the first few from that list: accolade, allusion, ambivalence, ambivalent, analogy, anecdote, anomalous, apparition, aspersion, belligerence, bombastic, candid, capricious, cherished, cliche, conception, convoluted, credence, cryptic, currency, decorous, denunciation, derailed, derivative, despotic, detritus, diaphanous, dictum, dilettante, disdained, dispassionate, dowager, dubious, egalitarian... Some of the ones I didn't mention do sound like "English literature words," not real "modern-use words."
Hi Beebee, I think your question is really, "Do I need to use the SAT vocabulary in my daily life?" I'm sure you know that anyone with an elementary-intermediate level in any language can survive quite well with basic words and phrases. However, the whole point of language testing (in this case, SAT/IELTS/TOEFL...) is to show that your knowledge meets a certain standard... and that standard is placed against regular, educated users of the language. As a native English speaker, none of the words in the SAT lists are strange or new to me. If I want to present myself as a thoughtful, educated and intelligent speaker, I will certainly use them. :)