Sergio Paranhos
I'd like to know if there is difference between maybe or perhaps please
6
0
No difference. Maybe comes from "it may be', it might be. Perhaps is like happenstance, or perchance. Maybe and perhaps are interchangeable, they are 99% the same.
The words "perhaps" and "maybe" are used equally when answering questions. For example, when someone asks you, "are you coming for supper?", you could use either word in reply. Both words mean "it is capable of happening" or "likely to happen". The word "maybe" sounds more casual. The word "perhaps" sound a little more formal. For example, saying "maybe I will go for a walk" sounds like a conversation between friends. "Perhaps I will join you" sounds like a conversation between business associates. Hope this helps
Maybe = "may be" => "it may be that". Perhaps = "per haps" => "according to hap[penstance]" => "depending on chance". "Hap" is defined by Merriam-Webster as "fortune or chance". Maybe is used as a noun, in phrases like no ifs, buts, or maybes. Perhaps is used in polite requests: would you perhaps consent to act as our guide?
Sergio Paranhos
English, Portuguese